Friday, April 6, 2007

Internet: What's the point?

posted by Andy Leff
Call me officially dumbfounded. I thought I’d seen it all until I came across this article, which reports that one-third of U.S. households aren’t connected to the Web -- and don’t plan to be.

I'd love to start a conversation with this one-third, and find out why they don't see the value in the Internet. But since they're not online, this would be a one-sided conversation, and I have enough of those as it is.

Of course, there will always be some who aren’t connected because they can’t afford it. But even that's slowly dissolving as an excuse (see today's earlier podcast with the guys from Wireless Philadelphia for proof).

I believe that those who can afford it, yet don’t connect, will regret it in the long run. Case in point: It’s becoming increasingly harder -- if not impossible -- to advance your career by combing through the newspaper.

Classifieds sections are being crucified by Craigslist, Monster, and CareerBuilder, to name but a few of the hundreds of online jobs sites out there. I predict that five years from now, all job searches will be conducted solely online.

And once major cities begin to follow Philadelphia’s lead and implement area-wide WiFi, I’ll bet many people will wonder how they ever lived their life without the Web.

But I’m preaching to the converted, aren’t I? ;-)

Labels: , , ,



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?